Biodiversity Genomics Europe, funded by Horizon Europe call HORIZON-CL6-2021-BIODIV-01-01, aims at aligning the resources and research agendas of both DNA barcoding and reference genome generation, thus opening the door for a true quantum leap in biodiversity genomics research in Europe.
Despite ground-breaking developments in both DNA barcoding and full genome sequencing, there remains a critical need to develop and strengthen functioning communities of practice at multiple scales that translate into building capacity, boosting complementarity among activities in individual countries and establishing mechanisms to democratise participation.
To address this challenge from the European perspective, the BGE consortium, with 33 partners, brings together two newly formed networks:
- BIOSCAN Europe – DNA barcoding
- European Reference Genome Atlas (ERGA) – genome sequencing
The project will tackle three fundamental objectives:
- Establish functioning biodiversity genomics networks at the European level to connect and grow community capacity to tackle the biodiversity crisis using genomic tools.
- Establish and implement large-scale biodiversity genomic data generation pipelines for Europe to accelerate the production and accessibility of genomic data for biodiversity characterisation, conservation and biomonitoring.
- Apply genomic tools to enhance understanding of pan-European biodiversity and biodiversity declines to improve the efficacy of management interventions and biomonitoring programmes.
This WorkflowHub space will be used to gather computational workflows develoepd within the BGE consortium.
Web page: https://biodiversitygenomics.eu/Funding codes: