Assess genome quality; can run alone or as part of a combined workflow for large genome assembly.
- What it does: Assesses the quality of the genome assembly: generate some statistics and determine if expected genes are present; align contigs to a reference genome.
- Inputs: polished assembly; reference_genome.fasta (e.g. of a closely-related species, if available).
- Outputs: Busco table of genes found; Quast HTML report, and link to Icarus contigs browser, showing contigs aligned to a reference genome
- Tools used: Busco, Quast
- Input parameters: None required
Polished assembly => Busco
- First: predict genes in the assembly: using Metaeuk
- Second: compare the set of predicted genes to the set of expected genes in a particular lineage. Default setting for lineage: Eukaryota
Polished assembly and a reference genome => Quast
- Contigs/scaffolds file: polished assembly
- Type of assembly: Genome
- Use a reference genome: Yes
- Reference genome: Arabidopsis genome
- Is the genome large (> 100Mbp)? Yes.
- All other settings as defaults, except second last setting: Distinguish contigs with more than 50% unaligned bases as a separate group of contigs?: change to No
- Change tool used by Busco to predict genes in the assembly: instead of Metaeuk, use Augustus.
- To do this: select: Use Augustus; Use another predefined species model; then choose from the drop down list.
- Select from a database of trained species models. list here: https://github.com/Gaius-Augustus/Augustus/tree/master/config/species
- Note: if using Augustus: it may fail if the input assembly is too small (e.g. a test-size data assembly). It can't do the training part properly.
Compare genes found to other lineage:
- Busco has databases of lineages and their expected genes. Option to change lineage.
- Not all lineages are available - there is a mix of broader and narrower lineages. - list of lineages here: https://busco.ezlab.org/list_of_lineages.html.
- To see the groups in taxonomic hierarchies: Eukaryotes: https://busco.ezlab.org/frames/euka.htm
- For example, if you have a plant species from Fabales, you could set that as the lineage.
- The narrower the taxonomic group, the more total genes are expected.
Infrastructure_deployment_metadata: Galaxy Australia (Galaxy)
|Polished assembly||Polished assembly||n/a||
|Reference genome||Reference genome||n/a||
|2||Busco: assess assembly||toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/iuc/busco/busco/5.2.2+galaxy0|
|3||Quast: assess assembly||toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/iuc/quast/quast/5.0.2+galaxy1|
|Busco summary image||Busco summary image||n/a||
|Busco short summary||Busco short summary||n/a||
|Quast on input dataset(s): Log||Quast on input dataset(s): Log||n/a||
|Quast on input dataset(s): PDF report||Quast on input dataset(s): PDF report||n/a||
|Quast on input dataset(s): tabular report||Quast on input dataset(s): tabular report||n/a||
|Quast on input dataset(s): HTML report||Quast on input dataset(s): HTML report||n/a||
Views: 1370 Downloads: 5
Created: 8th Nov 2021 at 06:03
Last updated: 9th Nov 2021 at 01:12